Understanding Eye Allergies and How We Can Help
It can be difficult to function in daily life if you are struggling with eye-related allergies. Though eye allergies can be a nuisance, our team at Chapel Hills Vision Clinic is here to help. We can diagnose and treat your eye allergies. Our experienced optometrists serve the residents of Colorado Springs and the surrounding areas. We will perform an eye exam to identify the problem and choose the most suitable treatment method to eliminate it. Our professional staff will also work with you to understand and prevent your eye allergies from reoccurring in the future.
Eye Allergies Triggers
Eye allergies result from the immune system misfiring, making your body react to things that are not harmful. These may include:
- Pet dander
Types of Eye Allergies
- Seasonal Eye Allergies - Seasonal eye allergies are very common and mostly happen at certain periods of the year, mostly during spring, summer, and autumn.
- Perennial Eye Conjunctivitis - Perennial eye conjunctivitis is common all year round but has mild symptoms.
- Atopic Keratoconjunctivitis - This type of allergic reaction mostly affects older people all year round.
- Giant Papillary Conjunctivitis - This is a severe allergic reaction where papules or fluid sacs form on the upper side of the eye lining, causing tearing, blurry vision, puffiness, and itchy watery eyes.
- Contact Allergic Conjunctivitis - This allergic reaction affects people who wear contact lenses when the eyes get irritated.
Symptoms of Eye Allergies
Some of the most common symptoms of eye allergies include:
- Itchy eyes
- Burning eyes
- Pain in the eyes
- Light sensitivity
- Swollen upper eyelid
- Red eyes
- Eye swelling
Home Remedies for Eye Allergies
It's possible to manage allergic reactions and reduce their severity at home by:
- Wearing sunglasses when outdoors to block pollen, dust, and other outdoor allergens from getting into the eyes
- Avoiding rubbing your eyes when they feel itchy, as it only makes matters worse
- Washing your beddings frequently using hot water and use pillow covers if you are allergic to dust mites
Eye Allergies Treatment
Sometimes, home remedies for allergic reactions may not offer total relief. That's why it's essential to consult with our optometry staff about possible medical treatment options we can provide to help. Over-the-counter allergy drops only offer temporary relief from allergic reactions. However, eye allergy drops prescribed by our optometrists can improve your condition. Common medical eye drops include:
- Steroid eye drops
- Anti-inflammatory eye drops
- Eye drops for kids
Contact Us for Eye Allergy Treatment at Chapel Hills Vision Clinic
Eye allergies can be very irritating. At Chapel Hills Vision Clinic in Colorado Springs, we offer exceptional treatment to help you feel better and maintain your eye health. Since your eyes can react to several things, we perform an eye exam to determine the cause of the allergy before you start treatment. Contact our clinic at (719) 599-5083 to learn more about how our eye doctor can help you find relief.